Thursday, February 23, 2006

Busy Busy Busy....and BUSY!

So I know I haven’t been the greatest blogger these last few weeks, BUT I do have a good excuse(s). It has been none stop busy around here- this college life is starting to kick me in the pants.

After my special delivery day the fun just kept coming. My family is so wonderful, I am so blessed! That week I went on a regional tour with the Iowa State Singers, and my family decided to surprise the crap out of my pants and ambush me at the mall. It was so fun- I love them! It was so fun to spend time with them. In the future- My mom is diffidently going to have to teach my husband a few things or two :o) He’ll have to top off my wonderful family! One important thing though- My Mother failed to tell the conversation correctly though! You can read about her story here: check it out!


Her side of the story: My side

Me: “What are you doing?”H: “I’m on the bus. It’s boring. I’m so tired”
Me: “Where are you going again?”
H: (obviously annoyed with me for not remembering “I told you!” Because she always forgets everything I tell her, she has this thing when she acts like she is in a conversation with you until you ask a question and she replies with “uh hu”(even ask Tommyboy)
Me: “Oh yeah, I just forgot...sorry, I’m just busy”…Busy waiting for you to hurry up and get here!
H: (sadly) (tiredly) “We’re going to the mall. I’m going to buy myself a birthday present” (To warm her up to me spending $)
Me: “Oh yeah what are you going to buy?”
H: “I don’t know… just something for myself” She’s layin the guilt trip on thick. I want her to know that I will be spending $ on myself!
Me: “How far are you?”I’m trying to find out when they’ll be here!
H: “I don’t know”Me: “Where were you this morning?”
H:(getting madder)“MOM! I told you all this … I have to go”
Me: “Oh, I’m sorry honey” She never said “honey”

____________________________________________________________

NEED SLEEPY!

This last week has been so busy with school work- particularly in my DSN 102 class. This class is a prerequisite for Design majors. In order to apply for my specialized major (Interior Design...for now anyway) I have to take this class alone with two others. DSN 102, I hear is said to be the class in which most people drop out of design majors. IT sucks that much. In fact right now we are working on what's called the Pattern Project. It is a 5 phase project in which analysis of an existing object is used as the starting point for the design of space. "It provides a learning experience that is based on oscillations between two-dimensional and three-dimensional design. Value is based on the beauty of craft, deditcation to detail-oriented representation through precision in drawing and three-diminsional constructions." So Phase I: not too hard. I had to write a 500 word essay about my object assigned to me: Siccsors. But its was Phase II that really kicked my butt. Monday night I got 2 hours of sleep trying to finish this stupid thing. I had to make a paper pattern drawing of my siccsors and then assemble it into a 3d model. BUt here's the catch- NO TAPE- NO GLUE! The connections only tabs and slots.
Here is what I managed to come up with. It is really hard!

Ps: The smaller handle took me 5 1/2 Hours to finish!! (Talk about an ALL-nighter)

:1st draft model








:pattern drawing










:Final 3d Model




























6 comments:

Heth said...

Those scissors are awesome! Good gracious, no tape? No glue?

You. Are. Amazing.

hannahjoy said...

The scissors turned out wayy sweet hun. Good job, I'm proud of you. Ok, and the whole "this college life is starting to kick me in the pants" thing - I feel the exact same way, I have soo much homework this weekend, and don't know how to get it all done. I have to go to the darkroom as soon as I am done writing this and print my project for monday with record speed. UGH. Why is it that first semester was so much easier? It left me unprepared.

leighdrea said...

Thank you! It was hard work. Im just glad that I am finished with them! (but now I have other stuff) grrr.

Tina said...

hey I can vouch for how good they are... I'm so impressed that they even work! Well, they don't cut paper, but they do move! Good job! I hope you get an A - it'll be worth the no-sleep.

Tina said...

by the way, I did too say honey.

Tina said...

oh and also, what's up with your links not working?